Saturday, October 10, 2020

SHOCKS AND SHOCK ABSORBERS

SHARED WITH MY FRIENDS IN THE BRAINZ GROUP. Wanna be a Brainz Group writer? Let me know.

            Last week an article was written in a regional publication which noted that I had received a writing award for “elderly authors”. I must say, that even though I am now 70, that was the first time I had seen myself described in print as “elderly” and I was a bit shocked.

            The next day I was in conversation with my wife and wanted to comment about the leafy green plant in our garden which has big leaves that are very toxic (but the stem is very nice when put up as a jam) and I had a brain-fart and even though I reached around on the cluttered desk of my brain, I could not find that plant’s name. Okay, I was shocked.

A few days later I was telling someone about Mark, and I watched Mark’s last name launch itself into the air flutter over my head, squawk a few times before flying completely out the window! Dang!  This was another shock.

Allegedly, unless I take some kind of medication made from octopus gonads, this mental bucking bronco will continue. Last week I decided that the best way to handle this is to create shock absorbers.

            Here is my first weekly shock absorber -  from last week – the list of words which I would not remember.  When each of the above happened, I just looked down at my list of words to be forgotten  and resumed my conversation easy-peasy!

Perhaps some of you in the “whatever the hell the name of this group is”, might like to use this technique for easing these kinds of shocks yourself. This is cheaper than octopus gonads.

WORDS TO BE FORGOTTEN THIS WEEK:

1)     The name of the leafy green plant in our garden is Rhubarb.

2)     Mark’s last name is Philips spelled with one “L”.

3)     I am entering this in ‘whatever the hell name of this group is’ Fractured Lit Flash Fiction Prize | $3,000 | Judged by Meg Somebodyorother.

4)     The morbidly obese guy on the television every day is Donald.

5)     I am writing this list because… Oh crap.

6)     Where did I put it my list? Anybody?


Copyright 2020 Jean W. Yeager All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment