Friday, December 26, 2014

YEAR END REVIEW – THREE SIMPLE QUESTIONS FOR YOU, THE READER



WHO ARE YOU?
     Blogsplot and Google provide a lot of interesting data about you, the reader of this blog. I started this blog in December 2013 and really got underway in 2014.
The threesimplequestions blog finishes 2014 with nearly 1,000 readers per month – 600 first-time readers and 400 returning readers.
Most of you are between the ages of 25 and 34.
This morning the cumulative tally shows 70% of you are from the U.S. and 30% are from other countries.
Monthly total Nov. 26 – Dec. 25, 2014 = 1,123
United States
780
France
97
Ukraine
72
China
28
United Kingdom
13
Canada
12
India
12
Russia
12
Indonesia
9
Sweden
9


WHY ARE YOU HERE?
The ebb and flow of countries presence on the blog has been interesting watch over this first year and gives rise to fun speculation on my part. For example, as of this morning, 8% of total readership this month is from France, 6% from the Ukraine and 2% from China.
This is the first month France has been this present. It varies greatly because we’re not talking lots of visitors, so just a few can change the impression one can get from looking at the data.
Why the ebb and flow from different countries at all? I have reached out to some foreign groups whom I presumed might have some interest in some content.
For a string of days, a few months ago, the number of Ukranian visitors were nearly as plentiful as those from the U.S. I was surprised. Before that, China was very active. I asked my son, a techie 30-something, why he thought Ukranians would come to my blog? He said they were either cyber-bots or hackers.  He suggested that Google translation software from some countries may picks my blog to calibrate itself for weird words. Nice. The weird word guy.
     Perhaps that was the case. French hackers have targeted my blog? Ummm.  What would French hackers want from my December posts? To read the Christmas Shepherds story re-telling? If so, welcome!

WHAT DO YOU WANT?
      This first year has been an exploration of topics, attempts to attract readers from the wide-open World Wide web. Some have said that having nearly 11,000 readers for “THAT STUFF YOU WRITE” is remarkable. I’m amazed and grateful. It’s like making a record album – you create it and put it out there and see what happens.
     And, as I say, each month roughly 60% of all readers are first-time visitors and 40% are frequent flyers (if more than once is “frequent”). Visitors look through the posts and spend quite a bit of time. Is it general curiosity? Or, are you looking for something specific? I have a few packages in the back room of my brain I could bring out if I knew you wanted plaid? Short sleeves? Garden tools? Travelogues?  Descriptions of Texas haunts? Oh, ALL of those? No-problemo.
     Thanks, mi amigos (I put that in for the Google translation software to see what it does with two languages at once.)

© Copyright 2014, Jean W. Yeager
All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment