Wednesday, October 15, 2014

WHEN YOU ARE CRUSHED – WHAT GOES IN? OR WHAT IS RELEASED?


WHO AM I?
     I loaded trucks in a huge rectangular warehouse. A line of loading bays ran down each side. The trailers were like giant rectangular ovens. Boxes came down the conveyor belt and piled up behind me. I had to build tiers of boxes from floor to ceiling and wall-to-wall in a specific way.

     I became a sorter and worked on a steel-grate overhead. I sorted boxes by zip code and put them onto specific conveyor belts to go to trailer loaders to be sent to other sort centers.



WHY AM I HERE?

     The danger of box jams on the conveyors was real. Sometimes boxes would fall off and hit you. This caused me to have nightmares of and a fear of being physically crushed by boxes. At night I would crouch on our bed and look up for falling boxes, cover my head and hop out of the way. My wife couldn’t help me. Eventually, I would go to sleep.

     I felt like my spirit was being crushed in a corporate machine – literally in a machine of commerce. We had to develop immense memories of zip codes so we could lend our brains (in  that pre-computer era) to recognize zip codes and place the box on the correct conveyor belt every 5-seconds. Some men sorted “automatically” and kept an imaginative activity going as well – a dual brain function. Bob who sorted next to me would laugh aloud at times and I would ask him what he was doing. “Watching movies in my mind.”



WHAT GOES IN? WHAT IS RELEASED?

     Mind numbing, repetitious activities, dangerous circumstances, fear, fixed positions, and other activities are just a part of some jobs. But the human spirit can transform such functions into higher order memorization capacities or dual-function thinking. When you work in giant warehouse sized machine, or other production, assembly or packing type center, your body, soul and spirit are trapped. But creativity can come and enter in.

     Many people have experienced hard things in life outside the corporate world. Construction, logging, mechanics, etc. are tough and dangerous. Many become very innovative and creative on their jobs.

     For others who do not have such activities in their lives, many seek to avoid the hard things in life. We meditate, stay centered, avoid, care for ourselves with massages, fun activities such as electronics offer us.

     But, without being challenged, broken, wounded, or tested how will our spirits receive anything creative or idealistic from the spiritual world? Or, maybe we need to be crushed so that we can offer the unique gift we keep locked tight within us, and be an inspiration to someone else?



© Copyright 2014, Jean W. Yeager

All Rights Reserved

    


ON SALE NOW
Jan – June 2014 threesimplequestions Blog Posts
Are Available In Book Form 
"Th3 Simple Questions: Slice Open Everyday Life" 
Available at
http:/www.th3simplequestions.com
Available at Internet Retailers 
By WestBow Press
6x9 Perfect Bound Softcover @ $11.95
ISBN: 978-1-4908-7124-0
6x9 Dust Jacket Hardcover @ $28.95
ISBN: 978-1-4908-7125-7
E-Book @ $3.99
ISBN: 978-1-4908-7123-3

No comments:

Post a Comment